Wednesday, July 08, 2009

This Just In...

The past 24 hours or so have brought a couple of shocking revelations to my life. One is from the Jerry Springer corner of the world, so let's just get that straight out of the way: My once beloved high school band teacher seems to have engaged in - at best - a highly inappropriate relationship with one of his students. On this topic, I have many thoughts. Most of them circle around the phrase, "What the hell were they thinking?!"


In Mazur's case (and yeah, that's what we called him... odd to read it in the paper like that), I remember when he and his bride had their son. His family was his life away from music. Six years ago I started working in the district where I went to school. He was doing this community band with high schoolers, so I occasionally ran into him at different locations. Even then it was all about what his kids were doing. His kids, by the way, are both older than the girl in question.


Which brings me to the girl. I know high school girls can be incredibly stupid and naive, especially where older men are concerned. I was a high school girl once, and I speak from experience (albeit not this one!). So he's "more on her intellectual level," okay, I get that. But did she look at the man?!? I mean, 24 years ago when I was a wee freshman band geek, Mazur was a balding, fat man with huge lips and a tendency to be an excessive salivator. Six years ago, he looked exactly the same but older. Eww!


Now that I have that out of my system, here's the shocker that has me most... well, you know. And really, considering it's my husband we're talking about here, I'm not sure why I'm shocked at all... in retrospect.


We've been talking all along about how I have to get pregnant this summer or it's just not going to work out for us. Let me clarify that.


I've been talking about that and Tom's been doing the smile and nod.


I asked him last night what he felt we should do if I don't get pregnant this month. I was trying to broach the when-can-I-reasonably-talk-about-getting-my-tubes-tied-like-we-originally-planned topic. I was about knocked out of my chair when he said that we should keep trying for another five to eight months. The whole "let's make a baby this summer" conversations were apparently centered around what's convenient.


What?!?! I'm thirty-freaking-eight years old! So are my eggs! And I work a job that allows me to be off most of summer. So having a baby in the early spring makes the most sense because that affords me the most time off with said bebeh!


*sigh*


Clearly we're going to have to come up with a better compromise here. Or, you know... if I could just get pregnant in the next few weeks, that'd solve a lot of problems right there. We'll see.


Tom thinks part of the problem is that I'm still occasionally nursing Mad. I know no fewer than half a dozen women who have recently nursed through pregnancy, but much like chocolate and coffee (things I cannot indulge in while gestating), nursing could also be verboten. So we're making a concerted effort to stop. It's purely for comfort now (for Mad) and sleep extending (for me). We made it three days, but today there was no stopping her.

I personally think the main "problem" with me getting pregnant is that I keep obsessing about it. So let's move on, shall we?

2 comments:

Kathy B! said...

Definitely stop with the obsessing, it helps nothing. Ever. Can you take vacation time or unpaid leave should you become pregnant during another month so that you can still take advantage of prime months. Or can you take unpaid FMLA time? And do you know how to time your ovulation (just google it, it's not rocket science:) )...

Shan said...

I have an annual work contract... so I only work a certain number of days. There is no vacation time, but plenty of sick time and state disability and yeah, FMLA up to a point. The deal is that our surprise daughter was born in April and I had a hard enough time going back to work when she was five months old. There's no way I could wrangle that with a mid-year baby.
As for the ovulation stuff... I have checked into it. Two months of not quite getting it right, apparently. But it is fun to keep trying. ;+)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...