Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Irony and a Question

On the drive back from dropping off Corey tonight, Mad and I were stuck behind an 80's pick-up truck driver who used the solid double yellow line and bot dots as his guide (I call that driving by Braille).  We made the same left turn, so I also got to see him choose a new lane repeatedly over the course of less than a mile... without his blinker.

I loved the little memorial sticker in his window that said, "Please drive safe... I miss my dad."  Made me wonder if Dad died in a car accident or if he's locked up for reckless endangerment of the general public.

Speaking of memorial window stickers... WTH?  When they started popping up after 9/11, I wondered what future anthropologists and sociologists will make of us.  It's been a few years and become more common, but I still don't know what to make of them.

If you have one, I'm not saying you should take it down.  I'm just saying I don't get it.  How do you choose who has earned a sticker on your rear window?  For most people it seems to be simply based on who died after these stickers became a fad, but I've seen a few that are clearly honoring generations past.  Where is the line?  I'm just waiting for the sticker "marker" like I've seen at grave sites.

Joe Schmoe                       Mary Schmoe
11-23-36 to 10-7-08           4-17-37 to ???

What do you say to Mary?  "No pressure Mom, I just want to make sure I still have room when your time comes.  And don't worry, I've had all of the numbers made so your end date will match everything else."

1 comment:

Anti-Supermom said...

LOL - I would love to see *that* bumper sticker in the near future ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...