Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Out of Three

Not long after we told our folks about our latest "project," the gifts started rolling in. The first was a gift card for Babies R Us from my dad and his wife. Now I was still six weeks or so from showing, so we hadn't even wrapped our brains around the shopping that lay ahead yet. I only knew that I didn't want to get caught up in all the you-need-this-and-10-of-those type stuff. Our place was too small for all but the absolute essentials plus, I'd had a baby before and remembered what had or hadn't worked so well.

If I remember correctly, we left Dad's and headed straight for the store anyway. No clue if we were having a boy or a girl. No intention (on Tom's part) of finding out when it was time for the ultrasound. No reason not to go look, right?

As we walked in, we talked about whether we thought the baby was a girl or a boy, and what we wanted. I had felt from the get-go that a girl was brewing... and I won't lie. I wanted a girl in a way that I could not have imagined daring to want when I was pregnant with Corey (whom I was pretty sure was a boy, by the way). I think that the miscarriages I'd suffered made me timid and grateful just to have a live baby en utero.

Tom wouldn't commit at that point to wanting a boy or a girl. He just pointed out that we had a 50/50 chance of a boy or a girl, and said that his work was done in that regard.

Corey asked what you called it when something was split three ways instead of two; what were the chances called then?

I said, "That'd be a 33/33/33, I guess."

Corey: "Well then I guess we have a 33% chance of having a boy. Or a girl. Or a hermaphrodite. Which is fine for me because then I'd get the brother and sister I've always wanted."

No matter what, this baby was already loved.

1 comment:

Loud Spirit said...

OMG....I can't stop laughing...head thrown back...real laughter.

((SHAN)) that's an awesome story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...