Sunday, May 30, 2010

I've Got My Mind On the Cake and the Cake On My Mind

Tom's birthday is coming up on election day.  I figure we'll probably do most of our celebrating on Sunday next week.  Since this is one of those times in life where everything is due to be paid for or must be bought in the next two months (like two car insurances, a dresser, bedding, Maisy's chip registration, etc.), I'm thinking low-key and homemade.


I have been searching the web for cake recipes that don't involve yellow cake mix or shortening.  How someone can label their cake "scratch" and then start off with a box is beyond me, frankly.  More like itch than scratch.


It took me the better part of an hour, an hour during which I considered calling Bossy Betty for advice.  Here's what I've put together, mostly with the help of Wilton (something I think I might have heard of once, but I'm guessing everyone who bakes knows them well), and also with a little help from Hannah over at honeyandjam.com:


Butter Cake
Raspberry Filling
Raspberry Frosting 


Here's my question.  Tom loves raspberries, but do you think it'll be too much raspberry goodness going on?  I had considered doing a lemon frosting instead (assuming I could find one that doesn't involve egg yolks or shortening... guh!).

1 comment:

Bossy Betty said...

Betty is here for you, Darling. There is really no such thing as too much raspberry goodness. No. Go for it and go for it big time! Yum!!!

Let us all know how it comes out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...