Saturday, May 14, 2011

By the numbers

One heck of a roller coaster, that's what the past few days have been.  This roller coaster (that used to terrify me as a kid) aptly sums up our experience... if played on repeat for three days.


2 teeth coming in

2 ear infections

1 sore throat (still too soon for the culture to come back)

3 medications ~ one antibiotic, two fever reducers

24 hours ~ the point when I was expecting things to be looking up

36 hours in two hour increments ~ how long it really took before we started seeing any improvement at all.  It was a faint smile at Madelyn and slightly more effort at nursing

30 seconds ~ roughly how long it took to take Fynn's temperature five times, each time seeing the number go higher and higher.  Almost three full degrees in 30 seconds.  Having a baby whose temperature can literally shoot up 10 minutes after being dosed with fever reducer makes people who say brilliant things, like "she should have been to the doctor long before her temperature got that high" make me want to call them bad names in places other than my mind.  Instead, next time I'll just ask to see their medical degree or politely go tell them what they can do with the borderline accusations of neglect unsolicited advice.

104.4 ~ the point when I thought we'd be seeing another febrile seizure any second.  But just as quickly as it rose, it started dropping. 

1 more video ~ this one showing the point at which we were finally allowed to disembark the roller coaster from hell.

10 comments:

mama to j and bean said...

Oh my! What a rough couple of days. So glad that Fynn feeling better now and you can hopefully relax a bit!

Brooke said...

Oh Shan! I'd be a wreck - thinking of you!!

In the vid of Fynn, it sounds an awful lot like she was saying "mom" :) Gosh she is super cute!

Bossy Betty said...

Yikes, baby! Please remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop.

Loved the video of Fynnie!!!!!!

Sarah said...

I'm glad she's starting to feel better. I hope she continues to do so. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow you are busy! Hope the whole gang feels better soon!

renegademothering said...

Wow. That's it. just wow. And you are one incredible mama. Well done, getting through that one. How frightening. I can't imagine my kid having a fever that high - and that fast! You must have been flipping. Glad all is well...

katy said...

Glad you managed to hang on, mama. Sounds like an awful couple of days. I hope Fynn is well on the way to complete recovery now! xo

Anti-Supermom said...

Shan, are you serious!! I'm so, so sorry that you are going though all of that. Fynn makes up for all of that in cuteness though... right?! :)

Emms said...

Whoever gave you their advice needs to stick it up their..... oh yeah I should be nice. Whatever. You're the mom and YOU know what's best. Good job mama and Fynn is just too cute for words!! And I'm jealous... bug isn't saying mama yet ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Shan,

I'm going to stop wishing this pregnancy away...starting now.

I hope your week gets better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...