Wednesday, July 07, 2010

What Are They Seeing?

Last Friday I was at my chiropractor awaiting blessed relief from my hips and neck when a woman walked up and asked if I'd like a free five minute massage.  Uh, yes!  I stood up, waddled over to her and then followed her to the room.


She walked to the head of the massage table, put her hands on the face ring and said, "Lay down and put your face right here."


"I don't think I can do that."


"Why not."


I turned sideways.


"OH!  You hide it so well!"


What?


Sunday we're at Best Buy looking at computers with a salesperson.  Standing in one place makes me woozy at best (and once landed me in the hospital while I was pregnant with Madelyn).  It was just a matter of some decisions that Tom could very well make without me, so I waddled myself over to the service area, where they had some chairs.  The woman asked Tom where I was going and he said, "To sit down."  She asked if I was okay and he said, "She's fine, she's just pregnant."


"She is?"


"Yes, she's due next month."


"She IS?!?"


What the heck are these people seeing when they look at me?  I mean, I realize I'm not the smallest woman out there, but it should be pretty clear that I'm pregnant.  It is to me.  This was my view as Mad recently gave her sister a hug...

4 comments:

Wisconsin Parent said...

Wow! What's your secret? I had to inhale for 4 straight hours at my family reunion a couple weeks ago and someone still asked me when I was do. Awesome, huh? Hey, thanks for your funny comment about throwing signs. I'm doing a little blog management for Motherlove.com now and I'll have to see if we can get the trend going. Hang in there!

Brooke said...

I didn't announce my pregnancy at work because I was pretty sure people knew by looking at me. Then I started getting questions like "I don't want to offend you but are you expecting?" Seriously?! I felt the same way you did.

I guess I just chalked it up to people not wanting to assume women are pregnant for fear they're not and then looking like jerks.

PS - I love the picture you posted :)

Rebecca said...

Some people are blind to what is right in front of them.

Bossy Betty said...

Maybe you should get one of them there t-shirts that says "BABY" with an arrow down to your belly. Yeah, those are classy! Get five of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...